Skip to content ↓

Independent Training Providers

What exactly are ‘independent training providers?

When we use the term ‘independent training providers’, we are talking about any non-FE college organisation who is delivering Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA)-funded training.  They will typically be privately-owned and while most will be profit-making organisations, a great number operate on a not-for-profit basis.


Who are my local independent training providers?

An independent training organisation can be ‘local’ in the sense that it can provide training to an individual without necessarily having a physical building in the locality.  This may be because they use online/distance learning resources, provide support in the workplace through a visiting tutor or assessor, or offer a ‘block release’ training model that requires an apprentice to make occasional travel to a training centre out of area for a concentrated period of ‘classroom’ study, as opposed to a weekly day release that might typically happen via a local college.

How do I find independent providers that operate in Buckinghamshire?

There isn’t an official, local directory.  We have a very small number of independent training organisations with physical training centres in the county, yet we know we have over 150 ‘out of area’ training providers delivering apprenticeship training in Buckinghamshire.

So, how does anyone begin to make sense of that system and seek to provide ‘meaningful’ encounters with independent training providers? Consider these 4 options:

(i)           Check out this site:

(ii)          ‘Find Apprenticeship Training’ is a service that allows users to identify training providers who provide apprenticeship training for given apprenticeship programmes.  This is also provides information on their delivery model and satisfaction ratings.

(iii)         All providers should be registered on the UK Register of Training Providers and be issued with a UK Provider Reference Number (UKPRN).

(iv)         Apprenticeship providers are required to be registered on a separate Register of Apprenticeship Training Providers (RoATP).