In Key Stage 4, students choosing Music follow the Edexcel GCSE Course (see the full specification at bottom of page). Students have the opportunity to use our state-of-the-art Apple Mac music suite to compose and record music for their coursework. We also use the recording studio facilities to obtain standards of performance from our students that often approaches professional levels.
The exciting course offers the chance to study Set Works of great pieces of music and powerful music techniques, for example:
- How Chords work - the secrets of Harmony and melody
- The Baroque style - Explore the genius of J. S. Bach
- Fusions Music styles - the exciting effect of style combinations
- Compose using Logic X and Sibelius on our state of the art Apple Mac computers
- Performance Preparation Techniques - it's all in the mind...
Students have the opportunity to perform in events such as:
- Summer Awards Evening
- Y11 Music Extravaganza!
- Soundz Show
- Carol Service
- URC Lunchtime Concerts
- The Festival of Lights
- Waddesdon MAD Festival
The best two compositions and two performances from each student are used for coursework submissions.
In May of Year 11, students are required to sit a final Music Listening exam, with questions on the Set Works. There are four areas of study with 2 Set Works from each:
- Instrumental Music 1700–1820
- Vocal Music
- Music for Stage and Screen